The City of Melbourne has set an ambitious target for Melbourne to become a carbon neutral city by 2020. They have acknowledged that this ambitious goal cannot be achieved working alone. City of Melbourne council operations make up less than one per cent of the greenhouse gas emissions of the municipality So, in conjunction with their key stakeholders, they have developed a plan for collaborative action. Zero Net Emissions by 2020 – update 2014 (PDF, 6.2MB) is their strategy to create a sustainable future for the municipality of Melbourne.
The Local Government Research Group (a division of Market Solutions) has recently completed research to provide the City of Melbourne with an understanding of the perceptions and attitudes of the target audiences of businesses and residents in terms of:
* Awareness and knowledge of carbon neutrality and carbon offsetting
* Current offset purchasing behaviour and channels
* Changes in offset purchasing behaviour over time
* Motivation to purchase carbon offsets
* Barriers to purchasing carbon offset
* Influence of government policies and initiatives in encouraging the purchase of carbon offsets
* Future initiatives to encourage the purchase of carbon offsets
This research also provided the City of Melbourne with quantity estimates of offsets purchased and extrapolated to the City of Melbourne residential and business populations.